Re: Kernel WARNING: at net/core/dev.c:1330__netif_schedule+0x2c/0x98()

From: David Miller
Date: Wed Jul 23 2008 - 16:14:54 EST

From: Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:58:16 +0200

> So I guess my question is, is netif_tx_lock() here to stay, or is the
> right fix to convert all those drivers to use __netif_tx_lock() which
> locks only a single queue?

It's staying.

It's trying to block all potential calls into the ->hard_start_xmit()
method of the driver, and the only reliable way to do that is to take
all the TX queue locks. And in one form or another, we're going to
have this "grab/release all the TX queue locks" construct.

I find it interesting that this cannot be simply described to lockdep
:-)