Re: Odd swapping issue

From: Rafal Wijata (NULL)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2008 - 09:45:33 EST

OK, things are little more clear now I suppose.

I tried (just for fun) echo 8 > /proc/sys/vm/nr_hugepages
and it happened again, and no hugepages were allocated of course.

But this brought the following to my mind.

Since it's nfs server/client, and the nfs is rather heavily utilized(at least sometimes), maybe nfsd tasks were unable to find long enough lowmem chunk. How can we get such ram? By sweeping pages out to swap, isn't it?

Now the question is, if Linux actually has such feature like blind swapping out if lowmem is too fragmented to find requested size?
Can anybody confirm or negate?

Next, I was thinking then I could run 64bit system, but I don't want to reinstall it. Anybody knows if it's possible to have installed 32bit OS, but run 64bit kernel alone(no 64bit glibc or anything else)?

Thanx in advance.