Re: X "Hangs" with RS690 + 2.6.26

From: Nicolai Hähnle
Date: Fri Jul 25 2008 - 13:34:15 EST

Am Freitag 25 Juli 2008 12:12:59 schrieb Jerome Glisse:
> This looks like usual engine lockup followed by CP lockup so
> that DMA buffer age never get written and we run out of DMA
> buffer thus freelist failing in infinite loop.
>
> I think we now know all the reason why we lockup, while a
> fix could be made for old ioctl we believe the best plan is
> to work on new ioctl with this fix in mind.

I can't help but feel uneasy with that kind of plan. After all, do "we"
*really* know what's going on? I always had the impression that we only knew
things along the lines of "perhaps it's better to submit 3D stuff in indirect
buffers".

If you *really* know what causes the lockups, could you please document that?
As in, what's the actual command processor sequence that is to blame? I know
that running e.g. a Nexuiz demo + glxgears window above it is apparently a
100% guaranteed lockup on my system (R420).

If you could share your progress in tracking down the sources of the lockups,
I'd happily try to write a patch against the current system.

cu,
Nicolai