Re: [RFC,PATCH] scripts/package: add powerpc images to tarball

From: Milton Miller
Date: Fri Jul 25 2008 - 23:59:19 EST

On Jul 24, 2008, at 8:11 PM, Jeremy Kerr wrote:

Milton,

Yes. How about all dtbImage, zImage, cuboot, treeboot, etc
that are newer than vmlinux?

The existing arch code doesn't do any checks for timestamps, perhaps
this would be better implemented as an arch-independent change?

The problem is some people might want to add intermediate files that are
younger than vmlinux (eg .config). We know our boot-image should be
newer. But I don't know how one would express the expected ages.

The reason I suggested the check was to eliminate images that are not
in the current config. I figured a test for relative file age could
be done in the for loop -- possibly replace shell wildcard with
find arch/$(ARCH)/boot/{zImage*,dtbImage*,uImage*,cuImage*,treeboot*}
-newer vmlinux -print.

(but would you like me to add treeboot and cuboot?)

I don't see why we should prefer the workstations and servers over the
embedded boards. zImage is just a link to the first boot image, but
one can build a multiple formats and the order is somewhat arbitrary.
So I see it as fairness. Otherwise, there are a few other platforms
that are "user" based vs embedded (like efkia, no?).

milton