Re: Kernel WARNING: at net/core/dev.c:1330__netif_schedule+0x2c/0x98()

From: David Miller
Date: Sat Jul 26 2008 - 20:34:48 EST

From: Jarek Poplawski <jarkao2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:18:38 +0200

> I guess some additional synchronization will be added yet to prevent
> parallel freeze and especially unfreeze.

Yes, that could be a problem. Using test_and_set_bit() can
guard the freezing sequence itself, but it won't handle
letting two threads of control freeze and unfreeze safely
without a reference count.

We want this thing to be able to be used flexbly, which means
we can't just assume that this is a short code sequence and
the unfreeze will come quickly. That pretty much rules
out using a new lock around the operation or anything
like that.

So I guess we could replace the state bit with a reference
count. It doesn't even need to be atomic since it is set
and tested under dev_queue->_xmit_lock