Re: 2.6.26-mmotm-0724 - linux-next.git loses /proc/sys/fs/quota, breaks disk quotas

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sat Jul 26 2008 - 23:44:14 EST

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:25:25 PDT, Andrew Morton said:

> You need to grab the git tree and use git-bisect. Then wade through
> all the runtime and compile-time bisection breakage which people
> nowadays seem to find acceptable because git collapses in an
> ignominious heap when these are fixed.

I've bisected through Linus' tree more than once - ISTR that there was
some special funkiness in dealing with trying to bisect through linux-next
because the tree gets redone every night.

If it *was* as easy as Linus's tree to bisect, I'd go ahead and do it.

> > Anybody know where /proc/sys/fs/quota went?

> Nope. There are pretty extensive changes to procfs core in the vfs
> tree - perhaps something there made /proc/sys/fs/quota vanish.
>
> <checks>
>
> Yup, it happens in the most recent linux-next too.
>
> Ah, it seems to be taking a little vacation over in
> /proc/sys/kernel/. Curious.

Wow. I never *thought* to look for it there, and neither did my userspace :)