Re: Q: wait_task_inactive() and !CONFIG_SMP && CONFIG_PREEMPT

From: Roland McGrath
Date: Sun Jul 27 2008 - 16:06:15 EST

> Without CONFIG_SMP wait_task_inactive() is noop, this doesn't look right.
> Shouldn't we also take CONFIG_PREEMPT into account?

wait_task_inactive is only called when task->state is nonzero (i.e. not
TASK_RUNNING). Preemption leaves a task in TASK_RUNNING, so a preempted
task shouldn't ever be passed to wait_task_inactive. I dont see the problem.

> Also, the !SMP version of wait_task_inactive() always returns 1, this
> doesn't conform to the comment near kernel/sched.c:wait_task_inactive().

You mean the "(its total switch count)" part of the comment?
The normative part was only meant to be "a positive number".

Thanks,
Roland