Re: [git pull] cpus4096 fixes

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Sun Jul 27 2008 - 20:54:20 EST

On Monday 28 July 2008 05:06:01 Ingo Molnar wrote:
> Linus,
>
> Please pull the latest cpus4096-fixes git tree from:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/linux-2.6-tip.git
> cpus4096
>
> this fixes the cpumask_of_cpu API fallout described here:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/7/23/76
>
> ... and the fix is wider than i'd like it to be, so close to -rc1

Sorry, it's wider because you pushed the last stupid Mike patch. Over my
(obviously too-polite) objections. Most of this is reverting that, just
without actually admitting it.

> - but
> it's the cleanest one and it has Rusty's ack as well.

Not really. As authored, I intended it as a bandaid for systems with small
CPU numbers. Mike made it always on (tho __initdata on large x86 systems),
which IMHO is insane (2MB of initdata?).

Mike: I now think the right long-term answer is Linus' dense cpumap idea + a
convenience allocator for cpumasks. We sweep the kernel for all on-stack
vars and replace them with one or the other. Thoughts?

Rusty.