Re: 463 kernel developers missing!

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 11:55:19 EST

On 7/28/08, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:45:59AM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Here's a new .mailmap file for the kernel that cleans up the horrible
> > mess of names and email addresses in the log. To use it put it at the
> > root of your kernel tree and type 'git shortlog'. Before the clean up
> > there were 4,284 developers, after 3,821. There are 5,051 unique
> > emails.
> >
> > The mailmap file contains all email addresses that have been used to
> > submit patches to the kernel. Don't freak out about your email address
> > being in the file, if it is in the file it is already in Google since
> > the kernel log is already in Google.
> >
> > Putting all the email addresses and names into this file allows it to
> > be used as a basis for future validation. Since I don't know perl, can
> > someone whip up a patch to checkpatch.pl that validates the emails in
> > new patches against the ones in mailmap? Then if you aren't in mailmap
> > part of your commit needs to include a new entry for mailmap.
> >
> > Another useful script would take the output of "git log | grep ^Author
> > | sort -u" and diff the list of email address against the mailmap
> > file. Any new emails found are new people that need to be added to
> > mailmap. Only the emails should be checked, not the names.
> >
> > Please excuse any errors I made in the clean up process, a large
> > portion of it was done manually. After the base file is in we can
> > patch it to fix the errors. For those of you using a dozen aliases,
> > you might want to order them so that your current email is the last
> > one in the list. James Bottomley has the most aliases, 13.
>

> The charset of the names is pretty random - that should be fixed at some
> point.

Follow on patches can fix the charset issues, right now they are
simply copied from the log messages. I've tried to preserve them as
best as I can but they have been mangled pretty badly.

> > PS It's not a diff because it would be too big to post.
>

> 200 kB would be OK for linux-kernel (AFAIR the current limit
> is 400 kB). But to prevent charset problems a compressed attachment
> might make sense...

It also saved the mail server from sending out a couple hundred GB of mail.

The main change is including every email in the mailmap and not just
the exceptions. By putting all emails into the file it becomes
possible to use the file for validation. And we need validation, the
current log has a 12% error rate.

I'll send it in patch form to whoever is going to send it upstream.
Who would that be?

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx