Re: How to disable group scheduler correctly?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 12:43:21 EST

Alberto Gonzalez wrote:

[1] For example, in Arch Linux the group scheduler was first enabled
in 2.6.25, but due to latency issues it was quickly disabled. But
after that, the following report claims to have problems with
everything *GROUP* disabled and that you need to enable CGROUPS to
solve them (the report links to similar reports on Gentoo and Ubuntu,
so it seems the confusion is quite general):

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10512

The linked thread talks about latency problems in the CFQ I/O scheduler, not the process scheduler. It appears that enabling CGROUPS helps get around the I/O scheduler issues.

Are you sure that you actually want to disable group scheduling for processes?

Chris