directory sort order no longer beginning with "." and ".."?

From: Oliver Soltys
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 05:51:00 EST

Hello,

we experienced some change in the directory sort order. We installed a new
server with kernel 2.6.18. While testing, an old (but important) application
won't correctly show a directory selection window (is there a name for such a
thing?) when changing to a NFS (version2) mounted directory.

Further investigations showed, that up to kernel 2.6.11 a "ls -f" gave a
unsorted directory listing, but beginning with "." and "..".

Newer kernel (I checked 2.6.18 and 2.6.25) have the "." and ".." somewhere else
in the "ls -f" output.

The same sort order can be seen using nfsV2 with "tcpdump".

I think this the reason for our application to behave weird.

My question: is this a bug, or a feature? I could not find anything about that
anywhere...

Does anybody have an idea, how I can fix this? Unfortunately, our application
can not be changed.

Many thanks in advance & best regards,
Oliver Soltys

are addressed. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it, is prohibited.
E-mail messages are not necessarily secure. Renesas does not accept
responsibility for any changes made to this message after it was sent.
Please note that this email message has been swept by Renesas for
the presence of computer viruses.

Renesas Semiconductor Europe (Landshut) GmbH
Jenaer Strasse 1, 84034 Landshut
Tel.: +49-(0)871-684-0, Fax: +49-(0)871-684-150
www.rsel.renesas.com

GESCHAEFTSFUEHRER: Dipl.-Ing. YOSHIHARU KAKUI
GESCHAEFTSFUEHRER: Dipl.-Phys. STEFAN SAUER

Registergericht Landshut HRB 1464
Ust-ldNr.: DE 128953054 Steuer-Nr.: 132/136/30347

HypoVereinsbank, Landshut, Kto.-Nr. 3704 700 (BLZ 743 200 73)
Mizuho Corporate Bank (Germany) AG, Frankfurt, Kto.-Nr. 200 733 (BLZ 503 308 00)