Re: tools support for non-512 byte sector sizes

From: Martin K. Petersen
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 14:52:32 EST

>>>>> "James" == James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

James> The problem, which ata_ram also suffers, is that the tools we
James> most need to test are the ones for manipulating non volatile
James> characteristics (like partition tables). We'd really like the
James> disk contents to survive reboot for this ...

Yeah, I should add that I wanted persistence too. I went through a
whole stack (well, 5-6 or so) fibre channel drives from various
vendors and attempted to low-level format them to 4KB sectors. Most
of them laughed in my face. One of them tried to comply and
irreparably confused its firmware in the process.

Just yesterday I received a couple of prototype drives in the mail.
I'll ask the vendor whether they support 4KB and if so I'll give them
a whirl.

--
Martin K. Petersen Oracle Linux Engineering