Re: [patch 2/4] Configure out file locking features

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 16:00:37 EST

Matt Mackall wrote:
> The typical embedded NFS-based devices are NAS servers and media players
> and are going to be more concerned about things like page cache
> balancing.

Oh, those.

It would be really annoying to buy a home NAS and find it doesn't
support NFS locks or SMB oplocks. NASes are vaguely useful for more
than one computer in the house at the same time.

That said, I bought a big, expensive one, found it far too slow for my
needs, send it back for a refund and bought a portable cheap USB disk
which had *so* much higher performance. The convenience of serving
multiple machines just wasn't worth the lousy performance.

-- Jamie