Re: Request for documentation of PID handling functions

From: Pavel Emelyanov
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 22:04:27 EST

David Howells wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> Can you please provide documentation for the PID handling functions you
> supplied in commit:
>
> 7af5729474b5b8ad385adadab78d6e723e7655a3
>
> In particular I'd like to know what locks are required when. I'm trying to
> determine if in this piece of code:
>
> read_lock(&tasklist_lock);
> ret = 0;
> if (pid != task_pid_vnr(current))
> ret = -EPERM;
> read_unlock(&tasklist_lock);
>
> the lock of tasklist_lock is necessary.

The RCU protection is enough to get pids from tasks. However, the pids
are detached under the tasklist lock write-locked, so provided you're
*already* sitting under it the RCU is excessive.

However, Oleg pointed me out some time ago, that in some cases RCU-only
protection was not enough in some cases, so I put him in Cc.