Re: memory hotplug: hot-remove fails on lowest chunk inZONE_MOVABLE

From: Gerald Schaefer
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 08:16:27 EST

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 12:16 +0900, Yasunori Goto wrote:
> Well, I didn't mean changing pages_min value. There may be side effect as
> you are saying.
> I meant if some pages were MIGRATE_RESERVE attribute when hot-remove are
> -executing-, their attribute should be changed.
>
> For example, how is like following dummy code? Is it impossible?
> (Not only here, some places will have to be modified..)

Right, this should be possible. I was somewhat wandering from the subject,
because I noticed that there may be a bigger problem with MIGRATE_RESERVE
pages in ZONE_MOVABLE, and that we may not want to have them in the first
place.

The more memory we add to ZONE_MOVABLE, the less reserved pages will
remain to the other zones. In setup_per_zone_pages_min(), min_free_kbytes
will be redistributed to a zone where the kernel cannot make any use of
it, effectively reducing the available min_free_kbytes. This just doesn't
sound right. I believe that a similar situation is the reason why highmem
pages are skipped in the calculation and I think that we need that for
ZONE_MOVABLE too. Any thoughts on that problem?

Setting pages_min to 0 for ZONE_MOVABLE, while not capping pages_low
and pages_high, could be an option. I don't have a sufficient memory
managment overview to tell if that has negative side effects, maybe
someone with a deeper insight could comment on that.

Thanks,
Gerald