Re: [patch 0/9] x86, xsave: xsave/xrstor support

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 14:26:43 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, in this case the conflicts seem to be quite heavy, so i'd
> suggest to use the method we have used for x86/x2apic and for
> xen-64bit:
>
> Merge the affected topics into tip/x86/core. Then merge x86/core into
> x86/xsave, and put the xsave patches ontop of that base.
>
> This way x86/xsave is a 'derived' topic and optional until it's
> proven, but one that is still mergable once all the dependent topics
> go upstream. We'd only have to rebase it in the (unlikely) event of
> there being some major problem with any of the topics merged into
> x86/core.

I've restructured tip/x86/xsave to be like this, and it can now be
merged into tip/master without conficts.

I briefly merged it into tip/master to test it, but after about 10
randconfig iterations it ran into a spontaneous reboot crash. There's
nothing in the log, the box (an Athlon64 X2) just reboots spontaneously.
Removing the x86/xsave changes makes the system boot up fine.

I've pushed out the tree i tested into the tip/tmp.x86/xsave.broken
branch. The bad config is:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/misc/config-Wed_Jul_30_20_09_12_CEST_2008.bad

Two crashlogs are here:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/misc/crash-Wed_Jul_30_20_09_12_CEST_2008.log

the serial log just stops at a certain point. It's not at a specific
point, but the crash happened both times i tried to boot it.

Ingo