Re: [GIT PULL] x86: use arch/x86/include

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 15:19:56 EST

* Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > hm, we have a _ton_ of changes to include files queued up already,
> > so this is rather inconvenient.
>
> git should cope with this if changes come in via git. I do not know
> about "git am" applied patches.

the pending commits are ordinary commits and there's little difference
between a leaf commit that came via git and one that came via emails.

(the difference between Git and email is for more complex ops like
renames, merges - i.e. more abstract and multi-commit operations.)

But such more complex scenarios are not what i'm talking about. We've
got this many leaf commits in include/asm-x86/ at the moment:

... and pulling your rename generates almost 50 conflicts. (Also, i've
got to hunt down all scripts that somehow rely on the location on
include/asm-x86.)

> > I missed the discussion on this, what's the point of renaming all
> > these files?
>
> It has been discussed many times to keep arch and arch include files
> under arch/.
> Lately Linus outlined this:
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/5/21/1903924
>
> I took the ball and did the kbuild side of this so we could do this
> gradually.
>
> sparc are already converted. sh has it ready to be pulled and others
> are playing with it.
>
> How we do it in the best way for such a fragile codebase as x86 is I
> am not sure. [...]

huh, fragile codebase? Is that a flamebait? :-) What do you mean
exactly?

The timing problems come from the fact that 90% of Linux development and
95% of Linux testing happens on x86. So we've already got a ton of stuff
queued up for the next merge window. (and some cleanups for this cycle
as well)

But fortunately you've scripted all this, so i guess we can do it at any
stage. Could you send the script we should run?

Ingo