Re: 2.6.27-rc1-mm1

From: Balbir Singh
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 04:11:03 EST

> -memrlimit-setup-the-memrlimit-controller-cgroup-files-convert-res_counter_write-to-be-a-cgroups-write_string-handler-memrlimitcgroup.patch
> -memrlimit-setup-the-memrlimit-controller-memrlimit-correct-mremap-and-move_vma-accounting.patch
> -memrlimit-cgroup-mm-owner-callback-changes-to-add-task-info-memrlimit-fix-sleep-inside-sleeplock-in-mm_update_next_owner.patch
> -memrlimit-add-memrlimit-controller-accounting-and-control-fix.patch
> -memrlimit-add-memrlimit-controller-accounting-and-control-memrlimit-improve-fork-and-error-handling.patch
> -memrlimit-handle-attach_task-failure-add-can_attach-callback-update.patch
>
> memrlimit patches were folded into other patches. I guess I'll drop
> this patch series soon.

Andrew,

Please don't do so. We did discuss this and while Paul and Hugh have
opposed the patches, there is no alternative to memory overcommit
handling for cgroups. Claiming that no one supports overcommit is not
a valid argument. Apache (of what I've seen can decide rlimits for
each of it's children). Without the overcommit feature, a cgroup would
be prone to either excessive swapping for OOM (if badly configured). A
friendly feature that allows us to control and fail allocations is
much nicer.

I've resolved most of the issues reported, except for the last one by
Hugh. The infrastructure also allows me to build a mlock controller. I
am just back from Canada, I hope to get cracking at the problem soon.

Balbir