Re: [PULL] typesafe callbacks for kthread and stop_machine

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 10:06:51 EST

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 02:52:35PM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
> Just the two places I look after. And this time the conglomerate patch is
> included below for more random commentry.

I must say I personally don't like the wrapper macros that you require
for each function that uses this. A wrapper macro has a large impact
on code readability because everyone following a call chain has
to do an additional grep/open file etc. step. I have my doubts not having casts
outweights that disadvantage.

I know that gcc has this funky transparent union extension that
glibc socket() uses to allow different address types without casts.
It has the advantage of not needing wrapper macros. Any chance of
using that instead? Or has that one been considered already and
discarded?

-Andi