Re: Sysrq+B doesn't work on my box

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 10:39:21 EST

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> I'd like to get resolved this problem - my T61 machine doesn't reboot
> with SysRQ+B key.
> And I never remember if it was ever rebooting.
>
> This is all I know so far and I've no idea where could be the problem.

Well, many of the different ThinkPad BIOSes are really sensitive to the
proper boot/reboot/shutdown sequence (whatever it is). Otherwise, the thing
gets stuck in SMBIOS limbo and hung. For exeample, we had major issues with
boxes that only shut down half-way and ended up draining the cells to
critical levels, a few months ago. I don't know what finally fixed THAT
one, but it was ugly.

Here is another example: you can't get the TCO watchdog to reboot all (any?)
thinkpads properly on hardware. In my T43, the TCO watchdog IS hooked to
something, but the BIOS hates it to trip and the entire box goes to
neverland when it fires...

If sysrq+b uses a different reboot path than the normal reboot path, it is
the first hint of what is missing...

Henrique Holschuh