Re: linux-next: Tree for July 30

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 14:35:01 EST

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:26:54AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:17:31 -0400 Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > aaarrrrgggggghhh. I don't think this is practical. This means that
> > > (for example) FC5 machines (of which I happen to have one) are dead.
> > > And lots of other older-distro-based systems.
> > >
> > > Is there some userspace workaround which doesn't require an X server
> > > update?
> > >
> > > Surely it must be possible to make the kernel contiue to support these
> > > servers?
> > >

> > Andrew,
> >
> > It is not like we broke ABI here. The progam (synaptics driver) had a
> > grave bug. Older kernels happened to paper over the bug because they
> > did not fill the whole buffer that was advertised as available. Now
> > that we have more data to report the bug bit us. What do you want me
> > to do?
>
> Paper over the bug again. When it happens, spit out a loud printk.

For that we we need to be sure that the size of the buffer passed to
us is incorrect. I.e. if we decide that 512 is a magic bad number and
decide to limit the output then legit programs supplying 512 byte
buffers they will not get the whole thing.

> > Synaptics driver is a small package and takes 2 minutes to recompile.
> > You don't have to update entire X server with it (in fact I don't think
> > it is even part of X distribution because it is GPL).
>
> What proportion of the X servers out there did we just break?
>
> Was the crash I saw due to this?
>
> Where would I (Aunt Tillie running FC5) go to find out how to fix my
> machine up again?

What is Aunt Tillie doing compiling her own kernels on FC5? You
OTOH managed to get an answer fairly quickly ;)

--
Dmitry