Re: linux-next: Tree for July 30

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 15:54:53 EST

On Thursday, 31 of July 2008, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 08:48:56PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Andrew,
> > >
> > > It is not like we broke ABI here. The progam (synaptics driver) had a
> > > grave bug. Older kernels happened to paper over the bug because they
> > > did not fill the whole buffer that was advertised as available. Now
> > > that we have more data to report the bug bit us. What do you want me
> > > to do?
> > >
> > > Synaptics driver is a small package and takes 2 minutes to recompile.
> > > You don't have to update entire X server with it (in fact I don't think
> > > it is even part of X distribution because it is GPL).
> >
> > Well, we're not supposed to break user space that we used to work with, even
> > if it is known to be buggy.
>
> No, I am sorry. We are not supposed to break userspace ABI, but that
> is it. Can you vouch that 2.6.25 did not break a single userspace
> program out there?

It probably did break some, but that doesn't imply it's acceptable.

> > Many people use the older user space on their
> > test systems which are not practical to upgrade.
> >

> I don't understand this - it is expected that everyone jumps and
> upgrades their kernels with ease but updating broken userspace
> bits is super-hard... Plus, in this case the fixed driver will
> happily work with old kernels.

Please look at it from a different angle.

Kernel testers usually don't expect the kernel to break their X servers,
whatever the reason. So, if they are not warned to expect the breakage, they
will search for the reason of it, as Andrew has just done, losing their time.
To prevent such losses of time from happening, it's better not to break user
space.

Still, if you really think there's no other way to go (like deferring the change
in question until everyone can be safely assumed to have upgraded their user
space already), please do something to keep people informed.

Thanks,
Rafael