Re: [patch 5/3] fastboot: sync the async execution before late_initcalland move level 6s (sync) first

From: Simon Arlott
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 18:38:06 EST

On 31/07/08 23:12, Simon Arlott wrote:
On 31/07/08 22:56, Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 07:29:21PM +0100, Simon Arlott wrote:
There is nothing else to run between 1-2 and 3, so there is no opportunity
to initialise devices in the background and usblp_init blocks for a while.
If it were a module then it would block in a separate thread and wouldn't hold up the main init process.

Right, but I want to compile all of this into the kernel.

Why? It sounds like a trivial solution for you is to actually use
modules. Why go through a lot of extra work to solve something in a
different way that is already solved for you?

Because it looks like doing HCD init early enough is a simple way to speed up boot time if there are any compiled-in usb device drivers, without running the HCD init itself from a separate thread.

Arjan, are you able to test this?
I'll try doing what I've suggested later tonight if I have time.

I've tested this with fastboot disabled, the hcd initcalls changed back to module_init, all my drivers changed to late_initcall to force them to be later while usb/ is before net/ in the drivers/ Makefile.

--
Simon Arlott