Re: ACPI OSI disaster on latest HP laptops - critical temperatureshutdown

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Fri Aug 01 2008 - 18:37:21 EST

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008, Len Brown wrote:
> It is better to expose ourselves to the known tested Windows functionality
> -- even if it seems arbitrary, at least it is tested. The !Windows case
> results in running _completely_ untested BIOS code.

Actually, we should masquerade properly as the latest Windows version
available for that machine, then. AFAIK, Windows does not set ALL the OSI
strings, just one. We ARE running untested code in some BIOSes because of
it.

Maybe it would be better if every ACPICA-using OS defined a
_OSI(NotWindows), plus the relevant Windows OSI string they want to support,
and Intel would send word that this string is to be used ONLY to disable all
Windows bug workarounds, not to activate or deactivate any specific
functionality?

Henrique Holschuh