Re: amd64 sata_nv (massive) memory corruption

From: Linas Vepstas
Date: Fri Aug 01 2008 - 22:52:14 EST

2008/8/1 Alistair John Strachan <alistair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Friday 01 August 2008 18:30:34 Linas Vepstas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm seeing strong, easily reproducible (and silent) corruption on a
>> sata-attached
>> disk drive on an amd64 board. It might be the disk itself, but I
>> doubt it; googling
>> suggests that its somehow iommu-related but I cannot confirm this.
>
> Nowhere do you explicitly say you have memtest86'ed the RAM.

It passes memtest86+ just fine. The system has been in heavy
use doing big science calculations on big datasets (multi-gigabyte)
for months; these do not get corrupted when copied/moved around
on the old parallel IDE disk, nor moving/copying on an NFS mount
to a file server. Only the SATA disk is misbehaving.

--linas