Re: [RFC, 2.6.26.2-rc1] fs/partition/check.c: fix return value warning

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Sun Aug 03 2008 - 07:15:25 EST

Oliver Pinter wrote:
Willy, this good to know ...

and I think, this patch fixed a small leak:

+
+out2:
+ device_del(&p->dev);
+out1:
+ put_device(&p->dev);
+ free_part_stats(p);
+out0:
+ kfree(p);
+ return err;

On 8/2/08, Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 12:56:10PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
Please don't just send patches to the stable team because they "look
fine". They should be real bugs, with real consequences. And no, a
compiler warning is not a real consequence.

Oliver, check under which circumstances the leak happens, and which problems the leak causes for the system.

Newly added failure handling paths, which by nature are insufficiently runtime-tested, need to be well considered before they are taken over into -stable even if the code looks OK. I.e. they need to address bugs which are known to cause problems of certain severity in practice.
--
Stefan Richter