Re: ext3 seems to ignore ECC errors

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Mon Aug 04 2008 - 12:52:19 EST

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 04:47:27PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Andreas Schwab, le Mon 04 Aug 2008 17:39:06 +0200, a écrit :
> > Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > > However, to my surprise Linux (2.6.26) continued to mount the ext3
> > > filesystem read/write, spitting out a lot of IDE errors. Shouldn't
> > > filesystems remount read-only and let the admin try to save data in such
> > > case?
> >
> > That's a tunable parameter of the filesystem, see tune2fs(8).
>
> Oh, I had assumed it was on by default, hum. But now it reads
>
> Errors behavior: Remount read-only
>
> and I am still getting the same behavior. Indeed after some VFS
> modifications time it gets remounted read-only, but shouldn't that
> happen as soon as possible?

Errors writing to data blocks should get reflected up the application
(i.e., as EIO errors), but it won't force the filesystem read/only or
force a kernel panic (in the "tune2fs -e panic" case). The rationale
being if it's a single isloated error writing to a single file, why
ruin everybody's day by taking more drastic action?

But if we can't write to core filesystem data structures, that's a
much more serious situation....

- Ted