Re: [Patch 0/2] Renaming 'trace' to 'relay' and enhancements to'relay'

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Aug 04 2008 - 18:27:00 EST

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:34:39 +0530
"K.Prasad" <prasad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
> Please find the patches that enhance the 'trace' infrastructure
> (available in the -mm tree) and which introduce two new APIs
> relay_dump() and relay_printk().
>
> These patches were submitted earlier as enhancements to trace, but were
> renamed and merged with 'relay' based on your suggestion
> (http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/28/207).
>
> The patches apply on 2.6.27-rc1-mm1 and have been tested on an x86
> machine. Kindly accept them.

I'm a bit perplexed by these trace patches
(http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/trace-code-and-documentation.patch).
Is it useful? Will it be useful? Has anyone expressed
interest/intent to use it, etc? I haven't heard much noise about it
and I'm struggling to justify merging it.

Also, it's starting to look somewhat similar to ftrace, which also
provides sort of high-bandwidth per-cpu channels into userspace for
tracing purposes.