Re: [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning

From: Casey Schaufler
Date: Mon Aug 04 2008 - 23:44:46 EST

Cliffe wrote:
If we had stackable LSMs then the required functionality could simply be built into the LSM interface. Then the anti-malware would simply stack itself with other LSMs. In my opinion this is a perfect example for the argument of stackable LSMs.

No argument from me.

So far we mainly have LSMs which provide an extra access control mechanism (in addition to DAC).

Yes. This is the design center for the LSM.

IMHO, Ideally DAC could be another stackable LSM (enabled by default).

Yup. Search the archives for "authoritative hooks".

Other security schemes such as intrusion detection, firewalls/netfilter, anti-malware, and application restrictions (sandboxes such as jails or finer grained restrictions such as AppArmor) could all register LSMs onto the stack.

Stacking is easy for files. It's a real pain in the backside for UDP packets.

Additional infrastructure would be necessary. Permissible security remains a item of contention. Perhaps I am naive but I think most LSMs could work based on accept/reject. Where every LSM must accept an action in order for it to be carried out.

Please propose patches.

MHO,

Oh, humility isn't all it's cracked up to be. Show us all up and
write the code. I'm serious, I don't think there's anyone here who
would object to a really good stacking scheme.