Re: [ANNOUNCE] Merkey's Kernel Debugger

From: jmerkey
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 11:40:56 EST

> On Wednesday 06 August 2008 01:02, jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> > --
>> > Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 --
>> > geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> No I was not, but I am now. At any rate, I removed the Microsoft-isms
>> from the code. I can cut yet another patch for git6, but git5 was there
>> -- GPL2 and all. How about putting in into the kernel guys -- :-)
>
> Seriously? Because it doesn't seem to have had enough peer review,
> it hasn't had widespread testing in somewhere like linux-next or
> -mm, and we already have kgdb so you have to also explain why you
> can't improve kgdb in the areas it trails mdb.

If you go back to LKML from 2000, this debugger has been around for 10
years. I agree not in the hands of the public, but its very mature
in comparison to kdb or kgdb.

> But the ideal outcome would be if you could contribute patches to
> kgdb to the point where it is as good as mdb. It is already in the
> tree and supported by a handful of architectures... any chance of
> that? (I don't know kernel debugger code, so I ask as an interested
> user)

I plan to work on kdb and yes, there is a version of this that runs
as an alternate debugger of kdb - you can even switch back and forth
between them - but that misses the point as well.

I can wait untl its more widespread -- or not.

Jeff