Re: [ANNOUNCE] Merkey's Kernel Debugger

From: jmerkey
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 11:53:16 EST

> On Wednesday 06 August 2008 01:19, jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Microsoft-isms
>> there
>> >
>> > Seriously? Because it doesn't seem to have had enough peer review,
>> > it hasn't had widespread testing in somewhere like linux-next or
>> > -mm, and we already have kgdb so you have to also explain why you
>> > can't improve kgdb in the areas it trails mdb.
>>
>> If you go back to LKML from 2000, this debugger has been around for 10
>> years. I agree not in the hands of the public, but its very mature
>> in comparison to kdb or kgdb.
>
> OK I don't doubt that at all, but I just mean in terms of being reviewed
> by Linux people and how it merges with the current kernel (eg. we now
> have a debugger, which was unthinkable in 2000 :)).
>

>> > But the ideal outcome would be if you could contribute patches to
>> > kgdb to the point where it is as good as mdb. It is already in the
>> > tree and supported by a handful of architectures... any chance of
>> > that? (I don't know kernel debugger code, so I ask as an interested
>> > user)
>>
>> I plan to work on kdb and yes, there is a version of this that runs
>> as an alternate debugger of kdb - you can even switch back and forth
>> between them - but that misses the point as well.
>>
>> I can wait untl its more widespread -- or not.
>
> That would be great if you do work on kgdb... But I guess I do miss
> the point, then. Is there a technical difference with kgdb that cannot
> be worked around, a difference of opinion with maintainers, a wish to
> have mdb features at short notice?

Nick, its OK. There have been 27,453 downloads of the patches from my ftp
server since yesterday when I osted it -- from what I am seeing people are
voting with their feet. People can get it and I even posted it t
SourceForge as well. After ten years of working on Linux I thougt it
would be nice for something I wrote to end up there. It will happen when
its time. As it stands, people are using it and it is going to help a lot
of folks, which is what this is all about.

:-)

Jeff