RE: [malware-list] [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linuxinterfaceforon access scanning

From: Press, Jonathan
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 14:38:37 EST

>> I think you might be missing the point a bit here, as the traditional
Unix model that
>> Linux has prevents much of what the "traditional AV" products need to
do, right?

Is your point that Linux and Unix machines are less vulnerable to
viruses? If so, that's not relevant to my point at all. A Unix machine
can be a carrier, passing infections on to other vulnerable platforms
(guess which one). An enterprise security system sees the entire
enterprise as an integrated whole -- not just individual machines with
their own separate attributes and no impact on each other at all.

>>So how are you going about preventing the "infection from arriving"
>> with this proposed patchset?

I'm not endorsing or opposing the proposal until I digest it further.

However, I will say that while preventing infections from arriving is
not foolproof, doing a scan-on-close with the option to delete or
quarantine an infected file goes a long way.

Jon