Re: Simple UART driver help and TTY questions

From: Jiri Slaby
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 17:21:35 EST

On 08/05/2008 06:33 PM, Ira Snyder wrote:
Hello LKML,
So, the problem I have is that when I install this driver, it seems to
return -EIO before it even hits any of the driver code. I checked this
by putting a printk at the beginning of every function call in the
module.

The error from busybox microcom is this:
microcom: can't tcsetattr for /dev/ttytiny0: Input/output error

And cat /dev/ttytiny0:
cat: /dev/ttytiny0: Input/output error

Previously to finding this code from LinuxJournal, I had tried to write
my own skeleton driver, basing it on the drivers/serial/ucc_uart.c code.
It has the exact same problem. I've attached it as well.

So, to the best of my research, it seems like the tcsetattr call would
come in at drivers/char/tty_ioctl.c in tty_mode_ioctl() (the TCSETS
case). Maybe I'm wrong, though.

I've built it against both ubuntu's stock kernel (2.6.24 based) and a
recent pull of the kernel.org kernel.

I'd really appreciate help figuring out what this problem is.

Attach straces of your tries.