Re: [GIT]: Networking

From: Ivo van Doorn
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 03:57:57 EST

On Wednesday 06 August 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> >
> > I looked at the driver and got it working. However my 901 seems to have an
> > issue with the antennas. I can do scans, but associating with an access point
> > or even thinking about transmit keeps failing. Even with external antennas
> > this still doesn't work. So either my EeePC is broken or it needs some ACPI
> > magic to enable it. Personally I think mine is broken since the PCIe hotplug
> > stuff works for the wireless card and that seems to be their way of doing the
> > rfkill.
>
> Yeah, the rfkill literally makes the chip go away from the PCI lists, it
> seems. But your problems can certainly be somehow driver-related, I
> haven't actually _tested_ that thing at all, I got the machine just as the
> merge window started, so I've had no time to even play with it.
>
> > The driver itself is painful. It is full of ifdefs and some crazy build magic.
> > The integrated (to some degree optional) WPA code is pretty ugly. It has also
> > a full set of iwpriv commands to do all the settings etc. :(
>
> Well, it's also trying to support both 2.4.x and 2.6 etc. Yeah, that is
> horrid. At the same time, I can't say that the "rewrite it entirely"
> approach of the previous-gen cards has worked very well either, since that
> seems to have just perpetuated the problems. It would be great to try to
> educate them, but I'm not finding even an email address in the sources.

I've send a mail to Ralink with a request if they could step away from the
"port the windows driver to linux" idea and get the Linux driver "kernel-ready"
early on.
That won't solve the problem now, but hopefully it does mean the drivers for
the next generation can go into the kernel sooner.

> Oh well. I can't really complain, since just the fact that they bothered
> to even make sources available still makes them pretty responsible people,
> even if the sources are pretty dang ugly.
>
> All the capitalization etc makes me think they are all old DOS and Windows
> programmers. UCHAR and USHORT indeed, along with CamelCase functions.

Well it basically is the Windows driver ported to Linux. ;)

Ivo