request->ioprio

From: Fernando Luis Vázquez Cao
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 05:32:49 EST

(CCing LKML)

Hi Jens, Rusty,

Trying to implement i/o tracking all the way up to the page cache (so
that cfq and the future cgroup-based I/O controllers can schedule
buffered I/O properly) I noticed that struct request's ioprio is
initialized but never used for I/O scheduling purposes. Indeed there
seems to be one single user of this member: virtio_blk. Virtio uses
struct request's ioprio in the request() function of the virtio block
driver, which just copies the ioprio value to the output header of
virtblk_req.

Is this the intended use of struct request's ioprio? Is it OK for device
drivers to use it? If the answer two the previous to questions is no I
would like to send some clean-up patches.

- Fernando