Re: [malware-list] [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linuxinterfaceforon access scanning

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 11:39:41 EST

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:24:21AM +0100, tvrtko.ursulin@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Greg KH wrote on 05/08/2008 19:11:41:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 02:04:26PM -0400, Press, Jonathan wrote:
> > > I'm not sure if this is off the direct idea of this thread, or if I am
> > > possibly missing the whole point.
> >
> > I think you might be missing the point a bit here, as the traditional
> > Unix model that Linux has prevents much of what the "traditional AV"
> > products need to do, right?
>
> Could you please explain some more what and how do you think Unix model
> prevents?

It prevents any user from overwriting an existing executable, and it
prevents any user from adding an executable file to a common directory
(/usr/bin).

It also prevents any user from overwriting a different user's data file.

What specific threat model are you feeling is still present on Linux
today that this proposal is supposed to address?

thanks,

greg k-h