Sidebar to [malware-list] [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linux interfacefor on access scanning

From: David Collier-Brown
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 11:45:51 EST

"Press, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Press@xxxxxx> wrote:
but close is... very limited in value. Open is a discrete event
traditionally associated withh permission checks.
Close... not so. (And if you mmap memory, you can then close the file
and still write to it via the mmap)

Eric Paris wrote:
I think we all agree that open is the most interesting time for scanning
operations, but as Jonathan points out there is some value (even if not
perfect value) in looking at closes as well.

Open for read is the "traditional" time for scanning, but the
sequence (open for write) -> change -> (time passes or close happens) is specifically a good time to do content checking, so as to have the answer to the check available for the open for read.

I'd suggest "read" and "write" are the two cases that are interesting,
and that we've been using 'open" an "close" for a not very good
approximation to them (;-))

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto | some people and astonish the rest