Re: [ANNOUNCE] mdb-2.6.27-rc2-ia32-08-07-08.patch

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Thu Aug 07 2008 - 12:46:53 EST

jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
rspin locks are for these types of cases -- so if I fault on the same
processor I took the lock on it just bumps a counter -- yes, it is atomic
and SMP safe to do it this way.

Only if all contexts which take rlocks are not preemptible. Which I don't know whether they are; I'm just a driver guy. You use spin_lock_irqsave() rather than plain spin_lock() though, which indicates that you want to be able to take the locks from preemptible contexts too. In that case, your accessors are subtly buggy.
--
Stefan Richter