Re: cpufreq doesn't seem to work in Intel Q9300

From: S K
Date: Fri Aug 08 2008 - 06:10:58 EST

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 1:41 AM, Alan Jenkins
<alan-jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> S K wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I already did the cpufreq.debug thing and it was using the
>> smi_speedstep driver instread of the acpi_speedstep (or whatever is
>> the right name).
>>
>> Alan already told me this is likely an ACPI issue. So, I already sent
>> the acpidump in a prev email (Aug 3rd 08). I'm don't have access to my
>> home machine right now. Will send it again later if you can't get my
>> prev email from the archives.
>>

> I could be completely wrong though!
>
> I'd not heard of speedstep_smi before (now I look, it doesn't seem to be
> an option in the cpu frequency scaling Kconfig menu?).
>
> I assumed the error messages you had about SMI were just flack. I
> thought acpi-cpufreq was the only option on recent machines - and that
> a quad core probably counts as recent. The error messages could be due
> to Fedora scripts unconditionally loading several different modules, to
> find one that works.
>
> I'm not sure how you can answer Zhao's question if you don't already
> know. I expect Fedora C7 does try loading acpi_cpufreq (as well as
> speedstep_smi). Whether your machine actually supports acpi_cpufreq is
> the question we're trying to answer. (This is where looking at Windows,
> or BIOS settings, would help).
>
> Alan

My machine has acpi-cpufreq module, but when I try to load it, I get:
FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq
(/lib/modules/2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko):
No such device

Btw, yes, cpu freq scaling works in Windows XP. What should I look for
in Windows?

I build my own system, so I have gone through my system BIOS several
times and don't remember anything related to freq scaling. But I will
check again.

Btw, my machine is a Shuttle SG33G5. It has other issues too but right
now heat is the biggest concern.

Thanks,
SK