Re: PATCH: enable PAT at Pentium M 1.7 GHz

From: CIJOML
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 00:30:17 EST

H. Peter Anvin writes:

CIJOML wrote:
Hi there,
Sending oneliner enabling PAT at my Pentium M 1.7 GHz CPU. It simply works.

That's not really the right way to do that. Unfortunately the likely failure scenario is "data corruption after a month of uptime." Thus, we really need someone to review the relevant errata; I believe Venki is planning to do so.

-hpa

Well the truth is, that I use this little tweak from 2.6.26-rc and first cpu having PAT was P3 XEON. And because Intel has backward compatibility, it is safe to use it.
I don't have any problem with loosing data or any suspend/resume problems with this.

Reference:
http://safari.ibmpressbooks.com/032124656X/ch32

Best regards

Michal