Re: Kernel oops with 2.6.26, padlock and ipsec: probably problem with fpu state changes

From: Herbert Xu
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 10:29:45 EST

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 08:38:30AM +0800, Herbert Xu wrote:

> If there is a significant degradation I suggest that we back out
> the FPU changes. Making your competitor's processor go slow is
> not a nice thing to do, especially when you've just released a
> processor in the same space.

OK I take that back, Intel (and AMD) processors are equally affected
by this. For a start, the newly added Intel crc32c driver suffers
from exactly the same problem since the instruction used is also
SSE.

According to

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/articles/eng/3788.htm

the Intel AES instructions are also SSE so they too will suffer
from this.

Cheers,