Re: [2.6.27-rc2-git4] Kernel panic on VIA Ester+VIA CX700

From: Bruno PrÃmont
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 18:13:53 EST

On Sat, 09 August 2008 Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 12:00:24AM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Saturday, 9 of August 2008, Bruno Pr?mont wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Trying out 2.6.27-rc2-git4 on a VIA Ester + CX700 based system I
> > > experience the following panic using a config obtained with make
> > > oldconfig from working 2.6.26 config.
> > >
> > > Looking at the traces and when it happens it looks like it could
> > > be libATA or SCSI related...
> > >

> > > Note: the kernel is patched with viafb patches sent yesterday
> > > ([y]) and squashfs (<m>)
> >
> > Could you retest without these two, please?
>
> There'a another fun candidate: lazy allocation of fpu state. Do you
> have padlock-aes/padlock-sha/via-rng in use?

They are compiled into the kernel and initialize with 2.6.26.2, though
I have no idea if the kernel uses them more than that...

The crash happens long enough before userspace gets started, as such
except kernel-side users there should be no users of them.

I will check tomorrow without these to determine which one might be the
offending one:
- no crypto,padlock/viarng
- no viafb
- no squashfs (though it should be pretty inoffensive)

Bruno