Segmentation fault details?

From: Wang Yi
Date: Mon Aug 11 2008 - 02:55:28 EST

Hi, all!

I'd like to know some details about segmentation fault.
What I mean is when a program accesses invalid memory area, it will
get a SIGSEGV signal from kernel, and a message "Segmentation fault".

I also find that dmesg can show we something like this:
ProgramName[Pid]: segfault at xxxx eip xxxx esp xxxx error x
It is useful and provides the first-step information for further
debug/analysis.

My question is how dmesg gets the information, and if there are any
"decent" way to get this and maybe more information(An "indecent" way
I came to is grep dmesg)
so that I can perform some basic auto analysis.

Thank you.

Leo