Re: cpufreq doesn't seem to work in Intel Q9300

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Aug 11 2008 - 12:44:39 EST

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:28:39 +0300
Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > yes there is.. for cases where there is overtemperature. Think of
> > it as the emergency break in the subway. You really don't want to
> > use it but when you need it you're glad it's there.
>
> But this only helps when the cooling is working but not good enough,
> for the classic "fan broken" case it won't cool down enough.

I would call this an unclassified statement for which you have no data
to show that it's correct, at least for Intel cpus in general.

> Does the Pentium 4 predate CPUs that shutdown when becoming too hot
> (I experienced such a shutdown recently on my Athlon...)?

thermal shutdown is the last measure for sure (and it's in cpus yes)...
but sysadmins frown on that.. before you go down that path there's
various things that happen first (thermal throttle being one of them)

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
visit http://www.lesswatts.org