Re: [2.6 patch] binfmt_som.c: add MODULE_LICENSE

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Mon Aug 11 2008 - 13:11:49 EST

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:56:51AM -0400, John David Anglin wrote:
> This file was included before the SCO situation arose. The copyright
> notice is similar to most. Checking 2.6.22.19, I see that more than
> half the .c files lack MODULE_LICENSE("GPL") lines.
>
> I don't understand why we are talking about HP here. According to
> Matthew, his last commit to this file occured while he worked for
> Genedata.

Whoops, that was in the linux-2.2 CVS repository. There were subsequent
commits in the 2.4/2.5/2.6 repositories, some of which HP might have
a claim to.

> It is my understanding that copyright normally acrues
> to employers in employment situations. If Matthew was an employee
> and not an independent contractor at the time, then why are we not
> talking about Genedata, or its subsequent owner?

While I don't have a copy of my employment contract with Genedata any
more, my recollection is that they did not claim copyright on works I
produced that were off company time. It would be governed by Swiss law
which I believe would not permit such a term in the contract.

> Subsequent
> employment at HP or their funding of the parisc port shouldn't
> affect the licensing of a file that was previously contributed.

That's my basic argument. If binfmt_elf had contained the GPL
boilerplate, I would have copied that when creating binfmt_som. It was
intended to be GPL, it was a derivative work of GPL file (that also
didn't explicitly state it was GPL), it has been treated as GPL for
almost a decade.

a retrograde step."