Re: Lock debugging noise or real problem?

From: Linda Walsh
Date: Mon Aug 11 2008 - 23:35:28 EST

Eric Sandeen wrote:
I haven't looked closely at #2 but there have been so many lockdep
reports for xfs, and so many explanations of why they don't always get
along, you'll probably be able to find something with some searching.
----

So in debugging mysterious 'lockups' where I've, at least once, noticed a
hangcheck_timer elapse, this lock-checking stuff is just nonsensical? It is very
frustrating trying to turn on debug tools in the kernel and get so many false positives.

Would it be possible or, perhaps, desirable to eliminate the buggy lock-checks in the
xfs code?

Meanwhile...back to finding reasons for the semi-random, periodic hanging...
;^/