Re: [patch 12/17] vfs: pagecache usage optimization for pagesize!=blocksize

From: Hisashi Hifumi
Date: Tue Aug 12 2008 - 01:36:13 EST

Hi Nick.

>This patch unfortunately appears like it may introduce an
>uninitialized memory leak due to a data race between one
>thread initializing a buffer then marking it uptodate, and
>the other testing buffer uptodate then reading from the
>buffer (buffer, read as: page memory covered by buffer head).
>
>For reference, this is basically the same class of data race
>that I fixed 0ed361dec36945f3116ee1338638ada9a8920905

I think the same issue that your patch 0ed361dec36945f3116ee
1338638ada9a8920905 "fix PageUptodate data race" pointed out
is there around buffer_head without my patch "vfs: pagecache usage
optimization for pagesize!=blocksize".
Because set_buffer_uptodate or buffer_uptodate are used without
distinct locking facility (lock_buffer, or lock_page) in many places,
so it would be needed to deal with memory ordering issue.

Do you add wmb/rmb to BUFFER_FNS macros?