Re: [git pull] core fixes

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Aug 12 2008 - 05:28:52 EST

* Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 August 2008 16:13, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 August 2008 08:20, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > > Nick Piggin (1):
> > > generic-ipi: fix stack and rcu interaction bug in
> > > smp_call_function_mask()
> >
> > I'm still not 100% sure that I have this patch right... I might have
> > seen a lockup trace implicating the smp call function path... which
> > may have been due to some other problem or a different bug in the
> > new call function code, but if some more people can take a look at
> > it before merging?
>
> OK indeed it did have a couple of bugs. Firstly, I wasn't freeing the
> data properly in the alloc && wait case. Secondly, I wasn't resetting
> CSD_FLAG_WAIT in the for each cpu loop (so only the first CPU would
> wait).
>
> After those fixes, the patch boots and runs with the kmalloc commented
> out (so it always executes the slowpath).

thanks! I've applied the delta fix below to tip/core/urgent. In my
testing the previous version didnt cause problems either because we
seldom excercise this slowpath. (Jeremy had trouble reproducing the
on-stack corruption even with targeted tests.)

We'll soon start using the generic-ipi facilities for TLB flushes on x86
and perhaps even reuse the IPI itself for the reschedule IPI - that
should put it all under heavier scrutiny.

Ingo