Re: [RFC] readdir mess

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Aug 12 2008 - 16:06:26 EST

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:

> However, there are some similar stuff: ->st_size, ->st_nlink and
> ->st_ino in stat() (cp_old_stat()). Maybe EOVERFLOW is the reason for
> consistency...

.. I actually had an old binary that triggered that case (actually, it was
O_LARGEFILE in open()), and didn't work as a result. I only needed to run
it once, so I literally hacked up a once-time-use kernel that just removed
the EOVERFLOW in open.

So no, I'm not a fan of EOVERFLOW at all. Not in readdir(), not really
anywhere else.

Linus