Re: [malware-list] [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linuxinterfaceforon access scanning

From: Peter Dolding
Date: Wed Aug 13 2008 - 07:08:35 EST

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Press, Jonathan <Jonathan.Press@xxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Being in the correct place is key. Wrong place more issues more holes.

Lets get this right this time please. Windows is a mess. You cannot
run many av products side by side. Due to failures of signatures at
times to pickup every threat out there we have to move forward with a
system that works. Supporting many scanners at once if needed.

LIM guys are going after the same kind of defect detection.

Lot of designs have been created over all the years but they have all
failed to address the basics.

Scanning without file caching leaves a hole and costs cpu time. So
integration into the file system cache system is kinda key.

Designing hooks forcing users to use only 1 product. Yes good for
market lock in but kicks lots people in teeth.

Getting patch mainline is basically going to hit walls if you don't
sit down and say lets fix the kernel secuirty correctly. This is not
windows you have the power to alter the complete kernel if you can
provide valid justification for the change.

Valid justification is that someone like me looks at it and cannot
find a flaw in design and it provides needed functionality. Issue you
keep on addressing only 1 this is the reason why the patches have
stayed out side mainline when other patches have got in. In theory
the complete core of the Linux kernel could be replaced if Valid
justification could be made.

This is where Linux is different to Windows. You are free to
redesign linux to be the hardest OS on earth for a virus to operate.
Where windows you have to work with provided model. Lots here need
to drop the idea that anything in the Linux kernel is set in stone.
Only thing set in stone flawed designed get shot down.

Lets start with what would the features you would wish for as
Anti-virus designers if you could design a OS from scratch around your
Anti-virus so it was almost flawless. From that list we have what we
need to work on to give you exactly what you want in time. Even
better post that on a long term website as a wishlist for all OS's.
Basically give us direction.

Peter Dolding